On TV and the dishes

Friday 3 October 2008

Many people argue about the use of television. The dispute for the benefits and the harms of TV watching continues long years. I think that there are not only good and bad things or white and black colours and that discussion. Perhaps everyone has his/her own answer on that subject.

One of my friends and colleagues doesn't have a cable television at home. He explained me that he wants to reduce the impact of the mass culture (and especially the lack of culture in some channels) on his children. Yes, it's great to get information, said my fellow, but the models of the popular culture deform the minds of the adolescents. I admit that his way of thinking is very close to my thoughts. Aside of this assertion, I suppose that for the kids' development will be better if they have some more creative and intellectual activities, sports, outdoors...
Probably I can't add some more psychological arguments to the topic. It's not necessary to discover other motives against the flood of the cable television.

Before few years I stopped the cable television at home with two main reasons:
(a) almost all channels consist of stupid and low-quality shows and movies;
(b) the local cable television is a monopolist and continuously increases the tax.
Without any pity I rejected the bloodsucker cable television and started my happy life far from the public brain-washing TV industry. Thanks to one modest and cheap antenna, my family watched two national ether television channels - the state BNT and the private BTV.

But sometimes, if you find a reason, the things change.

Just numbered days ago I began a new era in my televisionary life. In order to improve my English language, I decided to mount a satellite dish at home. I'm still a sworn enemy of the TV deviations and the consumer's society. In the same time, now I realize that I can avoid the demaging channels which irritate me.
There're many good English-speaking channels which can be useful for my language learning. I think it's a good way to train my ear and my brain. Truth, ususally the speakers of BBC or CNN speak too fast and for me is very hard to catch the whole information. But in my eyes exactly this seems to be a serious challenge.

In the left side of the photo you see the old and loyal antenna, which we'll continue use. We need it because we can watch the Bulgarian news. In the center is the new satellite dish. For me it is strange why the sateliite dish is called just d i s h, but Lydia (in Bulgarian: Лидия) assured me that's the correct word. All right. My dish recieves transmissions from a satellite named Hotbird.

Which English language channels I watch?
  • news and political journalism on: CCTV 9 (Chinese), Arirang TV (Korean), BBC World, CNN, VOA, Al Jazeera International, Bloomberg;
  • sports on: Real Madrid (Spanish), Dubai Sports (UAE);
  • fashion on: World Fashion and Fashion TV;
  • religion on: EWTN, Love World, 3 ABN, God TV, Islam Channel, TCT.
My plan is to watсh some channel for 30 minutes every day and step by step to get accustomed to the sound, the rhythm and the vocabulary of the English.

What do you think about the possibility of the satellite television to improve my Englsh language?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure! It will do a lot of good to your English :) I believe Internet can offer much more, yet, I feel I might buy a TV when I grow up :) Lying on the sofa to watch TV makes a difference ;)

Georgi said...

Lying on the sofa sounds good :)
Yes, maybe internet is a better option than TV, but I remember easier when I have a visual perception.

 
Design by: Searchopedia convertido para o Blogger por TNB